Yesterday I posted about freekeh, a cracked whole grain that I had planned to try in a new recipe tonight. I was pretty excited to see a rice alternative that would help me meet my fiber and protein needs for the day. One serving of freekeh has 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber — not too shabby!!
I decided that jambalaya would be our dinner for tonight, so I went with the original flavor. I got all of my ingredients together and started cooking. It was sort of a “cheat” recipe since jambalaya is one of those meals where you can just throw everything into a pot and walk away until it’s done.
Or maybe it was a “smart” recipe. Hah. #busymomproblems
Anyway, the jambalaya turned out great! The texture of the freekeh is just slightly more firm than rice, not in a bad way. I think this is more rice-like than quinoa, and would probably make a good substitute for rice, especially in stews or other one-pot dishes. Especially for fitness peeps like me who are really conscious about how they use their calories each day — I mean really! Look at the macros per serving! (The recipe makes six VERY nice sized servings.) **Sorry to my friends with gluten sensitivities – this is a wheat product so it isn’t gluten free.
If you aren’t a fan of jambalaya, you can head over to the Freekeh Foods website and check out all of their recipe ideas! I think we will try the Mexican freekeh chili next.
So…. do YOU want to try some freekeh for FREE(keh)? I’m having a giveaway so one lucky reader can win! Here’s what you have to do:
1. Like my fitness page on Facebook.
2. Like Freekeh Foods on Facebook.
3. Follow @bephoenixfit on Instagram.
4. Follow @freekehfoods on Instagram.
5. Follow @ask1980 on Twitter (that’s me!).
6. Follow @freekehfoods on Twitter.
7. Tweet about the giveaway using the hashtag #LoveFreekeh #Freekeh and mention me @ask1980 in your tweet.
8. Comment here that you’ve completed the six steps above, tell me what flavor you’d like to try (original, rosemary sage, or tamari), and you’re in!!
A winner will be chosen at random on August 22, 2015 so you have a little over two weeks to enter! So go ahead and get freekeh with it!!
**US Residents only, please.